Horace Bushnell once gave his list of those who are excused from serving Christ:
- Those who believe in “every man for himself.”
- Those who believe that Christ made a mistake when he said: “Go into all the world and preach the Gospel.”
- Those who regret that missionaries ever came to our ancestors.
- Those who believe that the gospel will not save anybody.
- Those who believe they are not accountable to anybody for the trust they enjoy.
- Those who are prepared to accept the final sentence, “Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of these, you did it not to Me.” (Illustrations Unlimited, 182)
In today’s lesson, David’s men are “hungry and weary and thirsty in the wilderness.” But there are three men who will not make excuses, but will obey God and go and meet that need. These men provide great examples to us of people who made good with the opportunity God gave them.